Thursday, December 2, 2010

Developing A Roadmap To A Healthier You

Most people are astonished by the fact that I am able to cut my weight down so fast for a contest and often ask me how it is possible. Losing 20-30 pounds in 12 weeks are results that most people dream about and struggle to do for years. The fact of the matter is that sometimes you need a goal and a system for tracking progress in order to achieve desired results. For me, the goal was to step on stage and show off a drug free 190 lb 5% body fat physique.

Your goals may be anything from being able to fit in a certain size pants to lowering cholesterol or blood pressure to a certain level. The fact is that goals should be measurable and include actual numbers that way progress can be tracked. For example, "I want to lose weight" or "I want to lower my cholesterol" are too vague but are also the goals that most people set for themselves. It becomes obvious to me why people don't see the results they want. This is because they not only don't know where they are trying to get too nor do they have any idea where they are in comparison to where they were. Setting a goal like "I want to weight 120 lbs by December 31, losing 2lbs per week for 10 weeks" is perfect because it is detailed and creates a road map for a person on their journey to better health. The next phase after setting a goal is choosing a designated time each week, or twice a week to even better track progress, allowing for adjustments to be made mid week. For example, you would need to weigh yourself at the same time (preferable upon waking on an empty stomach) each week in order to track your progress and figure out what went wrong or right each week.

This is the exact method I use when preparing for a natural bodybuilding contest. I first set a desired weight goal (190 lbs), then a date (contest date), and how I am going to achieve that weight (lose 2 lbs per week for 12 weeks for a total of 24 lbs). I then figure out that I will weigh myself twice per week (Saturday and Wednesday morning on an empty stomach) in order to make necessary adjustments mid week if my weight loss isn't moving along like it should. I then figure out what went wrong or right with my week or first half of the week based on the weight I came in at. This is done by taking a look at my caloric intake, calories burned with cardio, and strength training regimen. The old calorie in calorie out equation comes in to play here and I am often able to figure out what needs to be adjusted or what part of the formula needs to be intensified (burn more calories or consume less calories).

I will admit that it takes some serious dedication but the results are worth any and all frustration you feel when counting your calories or pushing yourself through tough workouts. You will also train yourself to live a healthier lifestyle and realize that down the road you wont have to spend as much time analyzing your calorie charts because you will learn what foods to eat and how much cardio to do. In this way, living healthier becomes second nature. It is getting through this "training period" where all of your knowledge is gathered that will make for a healthier thinking mind in the long run. There is nothing better than being able to refer back to accountability journals from the past when you are feeling yourself falling off track. This allows you to see what you were doing for cardio, what foods you were eating, how many calories you were consuming, and the amount of time you spent strength training. So lets get started. There is no better time than now!

-Justin Medeiros,  NASM-CPT
Certified Personal Trainer
Natural Bodybuilding Competitor

No comments:

Post a Comment